7 Rules for Staying Safe this Holiday Seasonby Sueann Blackwell-Merrillville Auto Glass & Trim on 12/13/17
With the hustle and bustle of the Holidays , leaves us rushing between holiday parties, picking up gifts or traveling to see family. Many people revert to bad driving habits during all this hustle and bustle.
- Cheers! - to NOT Drinking and Driving - I know it sounds obvious but it bears repeating. Whether it's at the company Christmas part, New Year's Eve or just catching up with friends and family for a festive drink. Drinking and driving is just not worth it.. Designate a driver or enjoy a mock tail instead. Or sleep on the couch.
- We Love Safety - Do a pre-hoilday vehicle check up - can reduce your risk of having problems on the road. Tire Pressure, Oil change, a wash , wiper blades changed- fill the washer tank and Aquapel on your windshield. Jumper cables, blanket - snacks.
- Please Buckle Up - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, seat belts saved an estimated 13,941 lives among passenger vehicle occupants age 5 and older in 2015. You want to be part of that club. So do the people who love you .
- SLOW THE HELL DOWN! Speed is the #1 cause of car accidents (plus sudden acceleration is a major gas guzzler) and I know the rushing around makes you fell like you can make up some time on the road, but I'm sure your friends and family would rather have you arrive SAFELY even if you are late.
- Right turn only AFTER YOU STOP and yield the right of way. Lots of accidents could be avoided with this one..
- And of Course DO NOT TEX AND DRIVE! Yes, its still happening - the swerving on the road. Look around and you will see how many people are still doing this!
- And last but not least .... Pay Attention, No putting on make up - reading (yes, I have seen people on 80/94 with a book on the steering wheel open reading and driving) Really pay attention to everything around you, you will probably see what I am writing about.
We wish you and your love ones a safe , healthy Holiday Season!